Forum Posts

Elise Stack
Sep 14, 2020
In Elise
Performance goal: By the end of 2020 I would have engaged in professional learning in teaching and learning strategies for shared reading and implemented strategies to improve my students knowledge and skills in shared reading. Term 1 evidence and evaluation: - We meet with Anabella and Dee during PPT and picked goals/focus areas for shared reading and jointly programmed. - I have learnt more about how to structure a learning sequence in shared reading so that it is targeted, purposeful and specific. The first lesson is normally a text introduction where you read the whole text. The next two lessons are learning to read, eg. context clues, word decoding, word roots etc. The next two lessons are learning to comprehend. - This term we focused on predicting, making connections and we did a big focus on summarising. - When we focused on summarising we broke it up into different skills to focus on to build on the students learning. Term 2 evidence and evaluation: - Most of this term was different due to covid. Term 3 evidence and evaluation: - We meet with Anabella during PPT and picked focus areas for learning read and learning comprehend and jointly program. - We have focused on incorporating regular assessment opportunities into our program to inform future teaching and learning as well as evaluate the effective of our teaching strategies. - We focused on visualising at the beginning of the term and completed a visualising assessment at the end of week 3. It was evident that students are able to identify and record text clues and specific language from the text that they used to visualise. - From week 4 onwards we have focused on inferring. We have focused on inferring to interpret tricky phrases and learning to read to answer inferential questions. - In Week 7 Anabella modelled 4 shared reading lesson on answering inferential questions. As I'm part time I was only able to observe one of them as I didn't work that Wednesday. The lesson I observed was great. Anabella clearly modelled the learning intention and success criteria and consistently referred back to it throughout the lesson. She modelled and provided the students with a scaffold to both model and assist them independently in answering inferential questions. - At the end of week 7 we gave the students an inferring assessment. The data showed that students are getting much better at identifying specific clues in the text and combining it with their prior knowledge. This data will be great to use for visual learning to show students what skills they have learnt and what they need to continue to learn (also in guided reading). - In week 8 Anabella came to observe two shared reading lessons. I was away one lesson but she was able to observe me for one. The lesson was learning to read and was on context clues. I referred to the learning intention and success criteria throughout the lesson. I modelled how to use context clues for unknown words throughout specific examples. I then allowed students to complete with a partner during shared reading. Students had great discussion, they are getting much better at combining text clues and their prior knowledge. I also noticed they were making inferences as well. When modelled 'great country' alot of students said it means a good, kind country. Ivy also said that great can mean big! Learning goal: By the end of 2020 I will have made learning more visible in my classroom in writing. Term 1: - We have started using bump it up wall but need to have a better process for introducing and utilising it. Term 2: - Planned specific steps and learning activities for implementing bump it up wall in writing. - We have decided to get the students to level the different texts in groups and highlight/label with post it notes text structure and language features. Students will use the bump it up wall to level their own writing and to write a writing goal to improve their writing. - Gracelle did these lessons. - The students enjoyed using the bump it up wall and levelling/highlighting texts. - The bump it up wall was a bit small and hard for students to access. This is something to consider and refine next term. Term 3: - Specific teaching and practise of using bump it up wall. - The students really enjoyed this lesson but we were pushed for time and did it on a Friday. Next time it would be better to do it with our EALD support person (Debbie) and over two lessons. - We first brainstormed as a class what a biography need to be successful- success criteria. - In small groups students looked at different examples of biography texts and levelled them. Students really enjoyed this activity. They were engaged and worked well together. There was great discussion and students used vocabulary from the success criteria constructed together. Matthew did this task by himself but he was very engaged. - As a group students discussed and wrote on different coloured post it notes and highlighted: - What are the strengths of the biography? - What needs to be added/improved to bump it up to the next level? - We sat in a circle and looked at the enlarged bump it up texts as a class. Groups followed with their own annotated texts and we used their post it notes to discuss and label the enlarged texts as a class. This was a great way to do it and students were constantly engaged as they were following on and sharing. - Students compared their independent biography writing to the enlarged levelled and labelled texts to see where their writing sits. - Some students were very confident in doing this process by themselves, others needed some help- using the post it notes helped. - Students then wrote their writing goals. Most students were very clear and were able to do this themselves. Only a few needed help. Students used language from the success criteria. Term 4 evidence and evaluation:
Performance and Growth 2020 content media
0
0
15

Elise Stack

More actions